11 Comments

Hello, Jeff:

It looks like Peachpit still hasn’t gotten around to having some place to report errata for Flex 2 TFS.

When I run the completed project, the Category images (at the top of Ecomm.mxml) do not display – I have not been able to figure out why, the paths look OK in the scripts. What am I missing?

Also, I would like to know if you have a URL where one can see this project running.

Regards,,

Carlos

• by Carlos Corredor
    • 12:04 am, April 4, 2007

Hello again, Jeff:

I looked some more into the images not displaying in components TextAndPic and GroceryDetail. Craigkaminsky at the Adobe forums came up with the answer. I quote from his post:

‚ÄúOne change I had to make from the book to the “real world” is the reference to the images in TextAndPic.mxml and GroceryDetail.mxml. The book indicates that you need to reference them as ‘../assets/picName’. However, when you compile the application, the SWF files and assets folder are in the same directory. So, change the image references to ‘assets/picName’ and you should be good to go.‚Äù

So now, the finished FlexGrocer project is working OK. I think this should be added to the book’s errata. Don’t you?

Regards,

Carlos

• by Carlos Corredor
    • 12:04 am, April 10, 2007

To Jeff, Sean and anybody else who may be interested –

I also wanted to work on the book in my own localhost, so I made the necessary changes and I think I got it figured out. For those interested on how to do it, I have put a post on my blog: http://www.timos.com/blog/.

Jeff, nice to have you back. I thought maybe you went to Colombia – some people go there and are never seen again.

Carlos

• by Carlos Corredor
    • 12:04 am, April 30, 2007

Jeff-
    I already had a developer version of CF 7.02 running when I started working on the book. Could you provide some of the CF setup details used to make the sample CF server in your errata for the book?
    Thanks,
    Sean

• by A visitor
    • 12:04 am, April 30, 2007

(Re-posted – The error did not show up in the previous post – maybe because if was sorrounded by brackets?)

Hello again:

I have run into a problem working through the lessons in Flex 2 TFS. I am not doing the lessons in order because there are some subjects of particular interest to me. I did Lessons 1 through 11, then skipped ahead to Lesson 17. For this, I created a new project – FlexGrocer17 – with the files in ‘flex2tfsLesson17start’.

Up to the end of Chapter 11, everything was working OK. Starting Chapter 17, the project compiles and Dashboard.mxml works fine; but both DataEntry.mxml and Ecomm.mxml generate the following runtime error:

RPC Fault faultString=Error #1085: The element type “br” must be terminated by the matching end-tag “</br>”. faultCode=”Client.CouldNotDecode” faultDetail=”null” ‚Ķ etc.

I only found one <br> tag in the whole project and it’s in a comment block in ‘cfcs/dummyAggData.cfm’. Removing that entire comment does NOT correct the problem.

I tried creating another project starting at Lesson 18, and the error is still present – so I know it is not some faulty code I added.

What I find curious is that the finished project (created from ‘Lesson25complete’) totally works. So, the error is being introduced somewhere between Lessons 12 and 16 – and is being corrected somewhere between Lesson 18 and the end. The project – all three MXMLs Рis even working on my web server at http://www.timos.com/FlexGrocerFinished/DataEntry.html.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has tried running the project, whether it has run OK or not in the above-mentioned lessons, or who has any ideas about where to look to find the error.

Carlos

• by Carlos Corredor
    • 12:05 am, May 4, 2007

Hello again:

… etc.

Carlos

• by Carlos Corredor
    • 12:05 am, May 4, 2007

I have found another error — very slight and it is not a code error — as follows:

Chapter: 8
    pgs: 206-207

#23 says, “In the single remaining state …”, but, there’s actually 2 states remaining.

It is not until 25 that the other state is removed. So, 25 should be 23 and the others re-ordered.

• by A visitor
    • 12:06 am, June 5, 2007

Andrew, the algorithms that determine if a card number is valid do just that. The numbers you have been using obviously are not valid. If you feel funny about using a real live card number, find a card that has been cancelled and use that.

I myself test with one of my actual cards, but don’t enter the real expiration date. This will work because, at this point, only the validity of the card number is being verified and no actual charge is going through. If you are testing on your ‘localhost’, there’s nothing to worry about anyway.

• by Carlos Corredor
    • 12:06 am, June 14, 2007

hi!
    am unable to get cc validated..always gets turned down. What sequence of numbers should i use?
    tried American Express 3400 0000 0000 009
    JCB 2131 0000 0000 0008
    MasterCard 5500 0000 0000 0004
    Visa 4111 1111 1111 1111

?
    help appreciated
    Andrew

• by andrew walworth
    • 12:06 am, June 14, 2007

amy – you can email any errata to me : blog at tapper.net

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:09 am, September 7, 2007

There doesn’t seem to be a link on your errata page to contact you with more errata. And I haven’t found a way to figure out how to contact you from this posting. So exactly how would you suggest we contact you with errata?

• by A visitor