Flex Book @ Max update

I’ve just been told that the initial 60 books that they had at the Adobe Max store are all sold out.  I’ve also been told another 40 should be here tomorrow morning.  It seems we have a bit more demand than was planned for by the powers that be.  Anyhow, sorry for any inconvenience, and hopefully those of you looking to buy it at Max can get a copy when they restock tomorrow.

Latest update – the books at the Conference store are now completely sold out.  Today’s shipment came in with 50 more books, all of which were sold within 20 minutes.  I’m told attendees can still get the conference price, by ordering the book here at the conference, and it will be shipped out in a few days, as they come off the press.   Apologies to all those who hoped to have the book in hand, but as an author, this is clearly something i have no control over.

31 Comments

I was not able to get to Max this year (still kicking myself). So I missed buying your book from the Adobe store. I bought and have been reading the “Rough Cuts” version of your book on Safari Online for weeks now. But it can not replace the feeling of having a printed and bound version. Do you have any idea when your book will be available either on Safari, in Borders, or in B&N? I would soooooo love to buy your book where ever I can get it. Thanks.

• 12:10 am, October 31, 2006

I’m working through your book, but it appears that the site at http://www.flexgrocer.com is down (and http://www.tapper.net as well). This has caused my work on the book’s projects to come to a halt because the code accesses files on the flexgrocer.com server. If you could look into the problem I’d appreciate it!

• 12:11 am, November 16, 2006

Paul –
    Sorry about that, my DSL line is out, which unfortunately means my servers are down. However, all the files you need are available in the ColdFusion instance which ships with the book. I’m hoping my DSL line is back up by this afternoon, but until it comes back, the CF version should get you moving again.

Sorry for the inconvenience

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:11 am, November 17, 2006

That did not work
    I put the file under my webroot and could view it as
    but when I put that as the url in the HTTPService I get an error when running EComm.mxml
    ‘”Security error accessing url” faultCode=”Channel.Security.Error” faultDetail=”Destination: DefaultHTTP”‘

• 12:11 am, November 18, 2006

Jeff – Any idea on when the site will be up again
    Failing that could you be a bit more explicit on how you link to say the
    C:cfusionFlexTFScfusionFlexTFSserverscfusioncfusion-earcfusion-warflexGrocercategorizedProducts.xml
    file instead

• 12:11 am, November 18, 2006

Hey All –
    One of my co-authors, Mike Labriola, got a mirror of the site up and running, and the DNS has been updated to point to his version, so all the xml files are again available at the urls listed in the book.

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:11 am, November 19, 2006

Andy C – sounds like you need a crossDomain.xml file in your ColdFusion root directory. We talk about these on page 112. That should solve the error you are seeing

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:11 am, November 19, 2006

Jeff. Thanks. you were up and running before I needed to further investigate locally
    Not sure its crossdomain though as I have done other projects locally before

• 12:11 am, November 20, 2006

Hi Jeff, I’ve been working through your book, and decided to see what the end product would look like. However i cant find any webservices at all at urls such as ‘http://www.flexgrocer.com/cfcs/aggregate.cfc?wsdl’. The RPC’s are at the root such as ‘http://www.flexgrocer.com/category.xml’, insted of ‘http://www.flexgrocer.com/xml/category.xml’. Am I doing something wrong?

I’ve tried; ‘http://www.flexgrocer.com/flexGrocer/cfcs/aggregate.cfc?wsdl’ and ‘http://www.flexgrocer.com/aggregate.cfc?wsdl’. Is it me? Looks like the domain is pointing souly to the XML folder, and not it’s parent?

Otherwise, extremely handy book! Well done :)

• by Matthew
    • 12:01 am, January 9, 2007

Matthew –

From chapter 17 on, you need to use a local install of the coldfusion server. This is noted in the book in chapter 17 (i think it was page 395, but i dont have the book in front of me to verify).

Sorry for the inconvenience, hope this helps.

From this lesson going forward, all external access from the application will be using the local ColdFusion instance. Please refer to the appendix, “Setup Instructions,” to learn how to install, set up, and run the ColdFusion server instance and application.

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:01 am, January 10, 2007

Jeff,

Nevermind my previous post. I was unable to read some files in the “Start” folder under lesson 25 but the “Complete” folder copied successfully.

Thanks

• 12:01 am, January 11, 2007

Rob –

If you email me the list of files that you cant access, I’ll get them to you.

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:01 am, January 11, 2007

Jeff,

I have enjoyed your book. Unfortunately, the media that came with the book appears to be damaged. I am unable to access some of the files from lesson 25 (of course, right at the emotional climax!). I checked the Adobe Press site to see it they were listed under Book Support but no joy. Is there somewhere I can download just chapter 25 (or alternately I could list the files that appear corrupted and you could send them to me? please…)

Thanks,

Rob

• 12:01 am, January 11, 2007

Hello Everyone..
    Thank you for that last response Jeff. I am also getting an error in chapter 12. It seems that the Product method buildProduct() is throwing a runtime error when a groceryItem is dragged and dropped into “cartView” list. It seems as though what is getting past ends up null. I have tried running the Ecomm.mxml file from chapter 12 13 “complete” directory of the book’s cd and I continue to get the following error.
    peError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
    at valueObjects::Product$/buildProduct()
    at EComm/::doDragDrop()
    at EComm/__cartView_dragDrop()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/flash.events:EventDispatcher::dispatchEventFunction()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
    at mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent()
    at mx.managers.dragClasses::DragProxy/mouseUpHandler()

Is anyone else getting this error?
    Did this error just began occurring after Update to 2.0.1?
    Does anyone have a fix or a work around?
    Thanks
    Will

• by Will Streeter
    • 12:01 am, January 31, 2007

Fixed error (above) by importing the class into right namespace:
    import valueObjects.ShoppingCartItem;

<mx:DataGridColumn editable=”false”>

• <mx:itemRenderer>

• <mx:Component>

• <mx:VBox>

• <mx:Script>

• <![CDATA[

• import valueObjects.ShoppingCartItem;

• ]]>

• </mx:Script>

• <mx:Button label=”Remove” click=”outerDocument.removeItem( valueObjects.ShoppingCartItem( data ) );” />

1. </mx:VBox>

2. </mx:Component>

3. </mx:itemRenderer>

• </mx:DataGridColumn>

• 12:02 am, February 10, 2007

Hi Jeff,

Great book. I am working through Lesson 11 right now and getting error in source code of Cart.mxml:
    1120: Access of undefined property valueObjects. Cart.mxml FlexGrocer/views/ecomm line 55

That’s the line inside of DataGrid (Remove button inline Item renderer):

Even when I copy and paste code from “complted” mxml file the error is still there.

All imports are there. I am running Flex 2.0.1. How can I resolve this in order to move forward?

Thank you.

George.

• 12:02 am, February 10, 2007

April / Andrej –

We’re working on getting the site back up, but, all the xml files are on the cd in the back of the book, so you should be able to work with those until the site is back up

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:02 am, February 21, 2007

Andrej –

Where in the book do you see filereference (lower case) instead of FileReference? I’ve just done a search over the final pdf’s which were sent to the publisher, and don’t see it as you specified. Can you tell me the pages where you see this, so i can get the correction to the publishers?

Thanks

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:02 am, February 21, 2007

Error in book web page DataEntry.mxml

When insert this code :

import flash.net.filereference; and
    flash.net.filereference

Flex send error
    1202: Access of undefined property filereference in package flash.net. DataEntry.mxml FlexGrocer line 35

correct code is :
    import flash.net.FileReference; and

flash.net.FileReference

Thanks from Slovenia

• 12:02 am, February 21, 2007

Is anyone else having an issue accessing flexgrocer.com? I haven’t been able to access the site since yesturday which has completely halted my progress in the book. Since I’m doing this on work time, and I don’t really have other tasks at the moment, I’m totally dead in the water. Any idea when this site will be back up, or if there is another location for access the xml files?
    Or send the page code for both webpage…..

• 12:02 am, February 21, 2007

Thanks!
    April

• by April Rosequist
    • 12:02 am, February 21, 2007

In response to George T’s comment on Feb. 10. I was also receiving the same error that he was receiving. Even after using the “completed” code from the book, I was still receiving the error. I did the “fix” of putting another <mx:Script> block in the body of the <mx:VBox> tag, and it did fix the error. My question is, I haven’t seen this done yet in the book, and is it an acceptable “fix” or is there a better fix?

• by April Rosequist
    • 12:02 am, February 22, 2007

Hi!
    Thanks for the quick response!
    Problem solved after a few e-mails with AdobePress…
    Warning to all of you wnating to update to Acrobat Reader 8.0, it seems to have been causing a lot of problems with eBooks…
    peace!

• gray

• 12:03 am, March 26, 2007

Gray –

Here is the word from our editor:
    “Well, those files are supposed to be available for download, even with
    electronic sales of the book.”

He is going to check on the process, and get back to me. I’ll post here when i get the info. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:03 am, March 26, 2007

Gray –

Hmm, Adobe Press Online should have made the files available. I’ll email our editor and see how we can best get you access to those.

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:03 am, March 26, 2007

Hi!
    I love the book! It is great to learn it all through the development of an application!
    I bought the e-book at AdobePress online. The problem is, I did not get the files with it! I had no problem so far, but I am at chapter 17 and cannot continue as I need the coldfusion installation…
    Please help!

• gray

• 12:03 am, March 26, 2007

If anyone else if having trouble getting the files, I’ve just been told by my editor that they can be downloaded from here: http://safari.informit.com/media/032142316X/

Sorry for the inconvenience

• by Jeff Tapper
    • 12:03 am, March 30, 2007

First, thank you all for reading this post

I got the follow error message when I do “Lesson 17 Centralizing Web Service Access”. I didn’t konw how I can solve this problem as I have worked on it for 2 or more days. Please give me an advice, thank you.

D:My Docsmyworkflex2tfsflexGrocerbinDataEntry-debug.swf – 1,379,367 bytes after decompression
    DataManager.makeRemoteCall(updateProduct, updateProductResult, )
    (mx.messaging.messages::ErrorMessage)#0

• body = (Object)#1

• clientId = “DirectHTTPChannel0”

• correlationId = “1EA35031-85CD-9304-ADB4-3E3BF1F24434”

• destination = “”

• extendedData = (null)

• faultCode = “Server.Error.Request”

• faultDetail = “Error: . URL: http://localhost:8500/flexGrocer/cfcs/ProductManager.cfc?wsdl

• faultString = “HTTP request error”

• headers = (Object)#2

• messageId = “5DDC112E-94C5-D986-2B04-3E3C079D2DD9”

• rootCause = (flash.events::IOErrorEvent)#3

• bubbles = false

• cancelable = false

• currentTarget = (flash.net::URLLoader)#4

• bytesLoaded = 0

• bytesTotal = 0

• data = (null)

• dataFormat = “text”

4. eventPhase = 2

5. target = (flash.net::URLLoader)#4

6. text = “Error #2032: „Ç?„Éà„É™„ɺ„Ɇ„Ç®„É©„ɺ„ÄÇ URL: http://localhost:8500/flexGrocer/cfcs/ProductManager.cfc?wsdl

7. type = “ioError”